Technology is in its finest form today. A huge chunk of young entrepreneurs have taken their first steps towards painting their dreams with colours. Quite a many start-ups have popped up in the past two years, but are still far from success when it comes to reaching out to people. It is practically impossible to have a live coverage of you inaugurating your new start-up business when nobody even knows what you’re there to offer them. Although talented and smart, entrepreneurs are mostly clueless about how to connect with their audiences, especially with the limited budget they can afford to spend on these strategies. Marketers can adopt the following steps to build a brand out of the start up and reach more people without sweating too much.
1. Choose your audience: It is natural for an entrepreneur to want to mark his territory on almost every landmass on the world map. But as an efficient marketer, it is essential to understand your audience. It is better to aim at a smaller segment of the society instead of everyone. This can be understood by studying the bigger and successful brands. For example, Johnson & Johnson baby oil caters to women. It is imperative to understand that the buyers of baby oil would always be women, basically the mothers. You, as a marketer, need them to be satisfied with the product to purchase it for their children. Now a luxurious brand like J&J would target the urban women, for the sole reason that they can afford it. Hence, the marketer of this brand successfully chose its audience according to their demographics.
2. Media Outreach: After choosing the right audience for your product, it’s time to strategise how you would actually reach them. Being a start-up business, not many alternatives will come your way. It’s necessary to promote your business through the cheapest and the most effective ways possible. Digital media is the most proficient platform to reach out to your audience with a low budget that has to be invested on marketing. For example, for a start-up dealing with fashion, Pintrest would be the best source to reach young women. It is mandatory to study these outlets in order to strategise the marketing tactics. Although Facebook is a huge medium, it is necessary to study the know-how of the medium.
3. Engagement: As a marketer, after you have managed to attract your audience to the business, it’s time to engage them in the most creative ways. Concessions and offers to maintain brand loyalty helps to engage them. But on a low budget, engagement can also be generated by sharing a lot of industry information instead of unabashed promotion. The response then received can be dealt with immediate communication, hence keeping the audiences in loop.
4. Building and maintaining relationships: It is advisable to follow industry experts on Social Networking Sites to gain knowledge through their experience. This tactic can also be used smartly by using their influence for your benefit. You need to appreciate the clever players in the industry. Keep yourself engaged in their inner circle by sharing, reblogging and retweeting, for one day your content will receive the same exposure from them.
5. Observe and learn: “With great power comes great responsibility!” At this new level, dwelling in the short term success does no good, for the market forces keep changing from time to time. The needs of your audiences, the external conditions, their grievances, and their hopes have to be observed and noted by the marketers. It is necessary to check your reach and monitor the feedbacks received through various social channels. Listening to feedback, positive or negative, creates an all new perspective for your future strategies.
There is no perfect method to promote your start-up business. Taking the first step, and then the second, and eventually walking on this road will give you a broader perspective of what works for your business and what doesn’t. Evaluating your mistakes and refining your strengths will help you understand your market better, and eventually know what serves you the best!
It is better to aim at a smaller segment of the society instead of everyone.
Digital media is the most proficient platform to reach out to your audience with a low budget that has to be invested on marketing.
Keep yourself engaged in their inner circle by sharing, reblogging and retweeting, for one day your content will receive the same exposure from them.
It is necessary to check your reach and monitor the feedbacks received through various social channels.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Shivani looks forward to conceptualizing meaningful advertisements of tomorrow, ones that shall linger in your minds. Her ultimate solace lies in words, for she reads when she is free and writes poetry when she is not.